Our mission at Community Arts & Culture is to inspire creativity and celebrate community for a better Chapel Hill.
Our focus is on arts experiences, Town festivals and special events, calls for artists, and permitting outdoor events.
Visit chapelhillarts.org to see what's happening.
Join our email list to stay up to date with all things Community Arts & Culture! If you're an artist or organization that would like to get involved, feel free to send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Give us a follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
Outdoor Events - Planning and Permits
Community celebrations and special events contribute to a vibrant and inclusive community – and they have an impact on residents, businesses, visitors, and the community at large.
If you are considering an outdoor event, please use this information to ensure it is safe, compliant, and successful.
Events on Town-owned Property, Public Streets, or Public Rights of Way
- Require a Special Event Permit; in order to receive a permit, organizers must submit an Outdoor Special Event Application including a:
- Site Map proposing event layout/route
- Certificate of Insurance
- Emergency Action Plan
- May be subject to facility rental, inspection, and/or additional fees
- May require an application for some or all of these supplemental permits:
- Facility Rental Application
- Chapel Hill Police Department Application for Parade/Run
- Lane or Street Closure Application
- Application for Events in or Near Parking Lots
- Chapel Hill Fire Department Tent Permit Application
- Chapel Hill Fire Department Application for Pyrotechnic Display
- Application for Noise Permit to Exceed Sound Limits
- Vending at Special Event Form
- Orange County Health Department Street Festival Application Packet
Events on Private Property
- May require a permit.
- Large events may require a zoning compliance permit. Please contact the Town of Chapel Hill Development Services at 919-969-5066.
- Large events may require an Outdoor Special Event Application. Please contact CA&C at email@example.com.
- Street or sidewalk closures may require an Outdoor Special Event Application.
Linked below are policy and procedural documents that guide the work of the Town of Chapel Hill's Community Arts & Culture effort and the Chapel Hill Cultural Arts Commission; all documents are in PDF format.