We are currently experiencing website issues. You may encounter some bad links. We appreciate your patience as we work to fix this problem.

Good Neighbors

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
Various departments within the Town of Chapel Hill and Orange County actively work to educate citizens and respond with enforcement actions to dangerous/unsafe buildings and poor conditions of yards around homes, including trash, debris and abandoned material; junk vehicles; and illegal parking on the yards of residential property.

Property owners are responsible for keeping their property (including rental property) in compliance with ordinances. Tenants are responsible for maintaining sanitary conditions.


Parking on Residential Property

On the street, call Parking Services: (919) 968-2758
For permits, call Planning: (919) 968-2728 or
To report front yard parking violations, call Inspections: (919) 969-5043

  • Park your vehicle in the driveway or on the street in approved areas. 
  • Don’t park in the grass or create a shortcut by driving through the yard. 
  • Don’t lend or lease residential spaces or create your own parking lot. 
  • Don’t park on sidewalks or bicycle lanes.


Public Works: (919) 969-5100
Recycling (Orange County Solid Waste): (919) 968-2788

  • Place all garbage in plastic bags in a trash container. 
  • Place recycling in appropriate containers. 
  • Place yard waste in 30-gallon paper refuse bags or yard waste cart or pile sticks and limbs in small bundles at the curb. 
  • Arrange to have large trash items taken to the landfill. 
  • Do not leave any debris in the yard or street.


Police: 911

  • Loud parties may be cited for violating the noise ordinance. 
  • Apply with the Police Department for a permit for events that may exceed permitted sound levels. 
  • Don’t operate your vehicle sound system or boom box so that it can be heard more than 30 feet away. 
  • Operate leaf blowers in residential areas from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.

High Weeds

Inspections: (919) 969-5043

  • Mow the lawn before it gets overgrown. 
    • Don’t let your lawn grow tall enough to hide a small pet.

Dilapidated Vehicles

Inspections: (919) 969-5043

  • If inoperable vehicles create health or safety hazards due to accumulation of weeds, rubbish, wildlife or conditions that may cause injury, they must be removed within 30 days after written notice to remove the vehicle.

Minimum Housing Standards

Inspections: (919) 969-5043

  • Report any malfunctions in your residence to the landlord as soon as you notice them. 
  • Report any malfunctions in your residence that the landlord has refused to correct following written notice from you, the tenant, to the Inspections Division. 
  • Don’t let plumbing leaks, penetrations in the building envelope, or other damaging deficiencies deteriorate the residence. 
  • Apply for permits before making any alterations to the parking area or residence. 
  • Don’t begin any construction inside or outside without approval.


Orange County Animal Control: (919) 942-7387

  • Dogs must be restrained, enclosed or attended by a person who can control the dog. 
  • Keep your dogs on a leash when not on your own property. 
  • Dogs are not permitted in playing fields in any parks. 
  • Have dogs and cats older than four months vaccinated for rabies. 
  • Households may not have more than four dogs over three months of age. 
  • If you see a stray animal, contact the Orange County Animal Shelter at (919) 942-7387.

Public Rights-of-Way

Public Works: (919) 969-5100

  • Sidewalks, streets and other public rights of way must be kept free of obstructions. Overhanging tree limbs, basketball goals, fences, dumpsters, shrubbery or other obstructions in Town-controlled rights of-way are prohibited and must be removed by the owner of the abutting property.

Garage and Yard Sales

For signage rules, call Planning: (919) 968-2728

  • Private properties are permitted to temporarily have one for sale or lease sign not exceeding four square feet located on the property. The sign must be removed immediately after the sale, rental or lease. Signs are not permitted in the public right-of-way.


Fire Permits: (919) 968-2781

  • No fires are allowed without first obtaining a burn permit 

Town Codes

The Town of Chapel Hill has adopted various codes (laws) specifically designed to address blight, nuisances, and to maintain a clean environment for all citizens in our community. The Town does this by working in partnership with the residents of Chapel Hill. The Town helps maintain and improve the quality of our community by administering a fair and unbiased enforcement program to correct violations of municipal codes and land use requirements.
You can make Chapel Hill an even better place to live, work and play by taking the following actions to resolve code enforcement violations on private property in your neighborhood:

  • Learn more about Town ordinances. The Code of Ordinances is available online at 
  • Contact the appropriate department to find out more about local ordinances and potential violations. 
  • Contact Chapel Hill Police Department’s Community Services Unit. Explain the size and scope of the problem. Community Services officers work closely with residents to address problems in Chapel Hill neighborhoods. They conduct site surveys of nuisance properties, attend neighborhood meetings, and work with State and local agencies to coordinate neighborhood efforts. For additional information call (919) 932-2929. 
  • File a complaint. Please provide specific and detailed information, including exact location or
    address, and a complete description of the violation. Contact a Code Enforcement Officer at (919) 969-5043 weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
    or email
  • Attend your neighborhood association meetings and get involved in the process to resolve the problem.

Contact Information

Code Enforcement Officer
(919) 969-5043

Inspections Division
(919) 968-2718
405 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.

Orange County Animal Control
(919) 967-7517

Orange County Solid Waste
(919) 968-2788
630 Weaver Dairy Road Suite 103

Planning Department
(for questions about front yard parking and alteration of private property)
(919) 968-2728
405 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.

Parking Services
(for residential parking permits for residents of special parking zones)
(919) 968-2758
150 E. Rosemary St. 

Police Department
(for Community Services officers who work with residents to address problems in neighborhoods)
(919) 968-2760 or 911
828 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.

Public Works
(919) 969-5100
6850 Millhouse Road

View Full Site